[Exim] address_file transport acting quite odd...

Author: Trevor Sky Garside
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] address_file transport acting quite odd...
Hello, all.

I've just about got Exim working how I want it, except it's behaviour is
baffling me (perhaps related to it being 3 in the morning).

I have a system_aliases director which looks like this:

system_aliases:
driver = aliasfile
file = /usr/exim/${domain}/aliases
search_type = lsearch
file_transport = address_file

This seems to be successfully pulling out all of the aliases, and if I put
in forwarding email addresses only, it works like a champ. If I put a path
to a file, such as /var/spool/mail/user, the message is passed along to the
address_file transport, shown here:

address_file:
driver = appendfile
user = ${local_part}
file = ${address_file}
group = mail
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add

Now, this should append the email to the file specified in the aliases file,
running as the UID of the person it was addressed to, correct?

That's what I thought, but I get this odd behaviour when try using an
apendfile (much of the debug 9 has been removed, as it isn't pertinent):