Re: [Exim] Duplicate Messages

Author: michael
To: exim-users, marilyn
Subject: Re: [Exim] Duplicate Messages
> So next, on Philip's suggestion, I attached my debugger to the stuck
> process and viewed the stack to learn that it was stuck on a connect()
> call, which is an TCP/IP call that should time out via the OS in some
> reasonable length of time -- but never never did, not for weeks.
>
> So Philip suggested a little work-around, using
>
> connect_timeout = 3m
>
> on the smtp transport.
>
> Everything has been super since, and it was April 22, 2000 when we
> fixed it.

Oops. I had a similar problem last year and also used connect_timeout
to fix it, but always wanted to check why the connect did not seem to
time out or at least took a very long time (longer than my patience).
In my case, I did not get duplicate messages, but the missing timeout
slowed down everything so much, that mail stayed on the queue much
longer than it should, because stuck deliveries were in front of it.
That was with Linux 2.2.5, don't ask me which libc I used at the time.

Michael