Re: [Exim] any way to enable auth from the command line?

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] any way to enable auth from the command line?
On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 02:19:57PM +0100, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > One option is to use some trick with exim -D something, but I can't come up
> > with a macro that would disable SMTP AUTH entirely, or enable it (I need to
> > comment/uncomment a whole section of exim.conf)
>
> Since the authentication section comes last in the file, a dirty trick
> would be to use a macro that expands to "end". But I don't recommend
> this; one day I may invent another configuration file section.

Yeah, that makes sense.

> > Another way is to have an exim.conf.auth that includes exim.conf and adds
> > the AUTH drivers. However, I don't recall an option letting me include a
> > config file from another one.
>
> There isn't one, on efficiency grounds. The file gets read frequently.

If exim runs as a daemon, not really :-)

> How about having a single file and a trivial script that generates the two
> working files?

I'll have to do that for now. I wanted to avoid having a build process for
my exim.conf, but apparently I'll need one...

One thing that would work great is
#ifdef MACRO
exim stuff
#endif

MACRO could be set in exim.conf, and overridden in the command line.
That way, I could keep one exim.conf

(incidently my ssmtp relay got broken today because exim.conf got modified
and not exim.conf.auth. That's exactly what I wanted to avoid...)

Marc

Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key and other contact information