Re: [Exim] does a smarthost need a password? (fwd)

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Alessandro Ghigi
Para: exim-users
CC: vadik
Assunto: Re: [Exim] does a smarthost need a password? (fwd)
On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

> Quoth Alessandro Ghigi on Mon, Aug 21, 2000:
> > I am using exim on a machine connected to an ISP via ppp.
>
> So why don't you use the ISP's outgoing mail server as the smart
> host?

Because my IP is more secure, therefore more difficult to access.

> > I have an account on another machine, and I want this machine to work as
> > a smarthost, for all non-local messages. I set up this via eximconfig, but
> > it does not work (the mailservers denies to relay, error 550). I guess one
> > has to specify his account username and password on the smarthost. If this
> > is true how can I specify this data?
>
> You can of course use SMTP Authentication (Chapter 33). Or you
> can use standard Exim relay control (Chapter 43.3).
>
> Vadik.

Dear Vadik,
    I have glanced through the 278 pages of the Exim
Specification. What I understand till now is that my Exim has not the code
for handling the Authentication (the commands

exim -bP authenticator_list
exim -bP authenticators

return nothing).

Do I need then to download the source of Exim and compile it following the
instructions on the quoted specification?
Is there an easier way to let the exim work? Is there any
configuration script doing this job for me (I have a Debian Linux).

What I had in mind was using fetchmail for incoming messages, and exim for
local delivery and outgoing messages, but if setting this up needs a
thoroughful understanding of the fearful Specifications, I will probably
be lost.

Thank you,
Alessandro