[Exim] Re: identification of the server

Author: Andre Grueneberg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: identification of the server
Philip Hazel wrote:

> * a host with dynamic IP and dynamic DNS running as the "server"
PH> How do *you* identify the server? You haven't told us.

By DNS?!
Each time the server logs on, the DNS entry is updated (see
<http://www.dyndns.org>).

In my case it's green.dnsalias.org...the A record always (when the
server is online) points to the server...and the MX will point to the
"client" (at the moment the "client" is only secondary MX) that is
supposed to hand the received mail over to the server when it is
online.
[This is already implemented using a domainlist router and a special
smtp transport, including authentication of the client]

PH> Suggestion: when the "server" connects and acquires an IP address,
PH> it sends its IP address to the client. A couple of relatively
PH> simple Perl scripts could manage this. The client sticks it in a
PH> file that Exim can read.

Okay. But what to do about that IP address when the connection is
terminated and the server doesn't have the address anymore? In case
the connection is down for some minutes (e.g. rebooting the machine),
someone else might get the same IP address and the problem is
back...again. :/

Instead of authenticating the client, I'd like to authenticate the
server.

  -=( CU Andre )=-         E-Mail: andre@???
... Even if you understood women - you'd never believe it!