Re: [Exim] Newbie question: root@my.isp ?

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Newbie question: root@my.isp ?
Quoth Jerome De Greef on Wed, Aug 16, 2000:
> I just installed Exim yesterday and everything's fine except this:
> What should I do to have root replaced by a local user in outgoing
> (internet) mail.

Hmm, it's a hard one. If you have a different e-mail domain,
it's easier. The reason is that there is no distinction between
outgoing e-mail and incoming e-mail.

But you can rewrite root@??? sender addresses in any piece of
mail with a rewrite rule like this:

root@???        jdegreef@???        Ffsr

Or do such rewrites in all headers and all envelope addresses:

root@???        jdegreef@???        Eh

You may try to differentiate between locally generated mail and
incoming mail by using $received_protocol (not tested):

root@??? "${if eq{$received_protocol}{local}{jdegreef@???}fail}" Eh

This is not entirely correct, because some MUAs pass mail to the
MTA via SMTP, and not by piping it to /usr/sbin/sendmail, but
mail(1) (which is used to send mail from cron) does the right
thing.

Vadik.

--
Prof:    So the American government went to IBM to come up with a data
         encryption standard and they came up with ...