RE: [Exim] What do you want in a book?

Página Principal
Apagar esta mensagem
Responder a esta mensagem
Autor: Philip Hazel
Para: John Horne
CC: exim-users
Assunto: RE: [Exim] What do you want in a book?
On Tue, 15 Aug 2000, John Horne wrote:

> 1) Regular expressions (my bane!) may need some hefty explanation if you
> intend to go into real depth! But then O'Reilly already have a book on
> these, and where does PCRE fit into this? Will there be a chapter on RE's,
> and/or on PCRE, or will there just be a reference to the ORA book with some
> examples?

O'Reilly's book is good, but (unless there's a new edition I don't know
about) out-of-date with respect to the latest Perl and PCRE. I plan to
include the PCRE specification as a reference appendix.

> 2) With Exim's continuous development will the book become dated too
> quickly? I'm not sure how this is dealt with with the Sendmail book (Edition
> 3 I think), but after a year or so will there be much more in Exim than the
> book states? Or will it just be the internals that is now changing (to avoid
> the creeping featurism)?

This is, and will be a problem. If a book is published, it will be
out-of-date before it hits the shops.