Re: [Exim] panic logs, not good ! (was: Customizing warning …

Author: Pete Naylor
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] panic logs, not good ! (was: Customizing warning messages)
Richard P. Groenewegen wrote...

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 01:14:39PM -0700, Pete Naylor wrote:
> > You're missing the units of time for the first item in the list. You need
> > to specify "24h" rather than just "24". Exim seems to have assumed that
> > you were defining a director or router.
>
> That was a typo in my email message. The first part of the email
> message displayed it right (including the h after 24).

Ah - okay. Perhaps you could share more of your exim.cf to give us some
idea of which section line 140 falls in (mightn't have been in the main
section at all).

> > I've never heard of eximconfig, sorry. When I edit exim.cf I HUP or
> > restart Exim, and I check to be sure that the process is present.
>
> The manual says:
>        Used  with the -i option it will not ask any questions, or
>        modify the configuration file at all, but will do the nec­
>        essary  fiddling  with  inetd.conf  and startup scripts to
>        enable exim. You should use this  after  configuring  exim
>        manually.

> The response was:
> starting exim

Perhaps on your system - not on mine. eximconfig isn't part of the Exim
distribution as far as I know. Perhaps you should contact your vendor for
support in that regard - sounds like some funky Linux variation to me.

> I didn't check if the process was present, but I guess it was, given
> the paniclogs.

Are you sure that those log entries were generated upon setup of an SMTP
session over TCP? Seems possible that they might also have been generated
by local invocation of the exim binary. Nothing at all logged in the main
log at the same time as those entries in the panic log?

--
Pete Naylor