Re: [Exim] New exim user

Author: Dave C.
To: davidturetsky
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] New exim user

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, davidturetsky wrote:

> Thanks so much for your reply. I'll go to work on it as soon as I get a few
> hours of sleep
>
> I do not work for Microsoft. I simply have an account with msn and want to
> use that ISP to send mail to a list from Linux
>
> Any further comments or advice would be most welcome

You want to host a list, or you want to send mail to a list that
already exists? In order to host a list at the 'free.email.msn.com'
domain, you would need the owner of the 'msn.com' domain to coorperate
with you to make entries in their DNS in order for it to work. You
would either need to have your server on and connected to the Internet
24 hours a day, or have some sort of store and forward arrangement
(Which would work, but not very well)

If you just want to send mail to a list, you should not need to
configure or even operate an email server such as Exim. You should just
use some email client program (In Linix, Netscape Communicator would
probably be the easiest to setup - it works mostly like the MSWindows
version.)

If ou just want to let your Linux server function as a sort of smart
'client', I would check in your Outlook Express client in Windows to
find out what your 'outgoing mail server is', then use that in the
smarthost entry in Exim. Assuming you have a POP3 account with MSN, you
could theoretically use a program called fetchmail to retrieve mail
from that account and deliver it to the unix mailbox to be read
locally..

In any case 'free.email.msn.com' doesn't exist as an Internet mail
address at all right now, and there is no way you can make it exist
without cooperation from the domain administrator at msn.com - who may
be a very difficult person to get in touch with - and isn't likely to
have any motivation to just create msn.com subdomains for random
customers - their tech support people will definately NOT be able to
help you with that.

You may want to find a local unix guru to help you out. If you are
using Exim, your best luck would be to find someone on this list that
was geographically near you that would be willing to help. Post a rough
idea of your location and see if anyone offers ;) I am located in West
Michigan to answer the obvious next question..

Unix and Exim are fairly powerful and technically advanced server tools
that arent ordinarily designed for non-technical end-users.
Unfortunately, MSN is a service not setup with advanced users in mind
(In fact, most of Microsoft's offerings are targeted at the lowest
common denominator, and generally don't do much for technically savvy
folk - which is why we prefer Linux/Unix/etc) - It might also be worth
looking for a local, unix-based ISP to switch to. Their administrators
stand a very good chance of being able to help you (now wether they
would have any time available to do so is another question)