Re: [Exim] Problems with writing to spool

Author: Ian Southam
To: Andre Grueneberg
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problems with writing to spool
On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 05:27:43PM +0100 Andre Grueneberg wrote :

> user. I'm using Exim 3.16 compiled with EXIM_UID=0, EXIM_GID=101.
> Do I have to make the spool/input world writable?
> On another system (still running Exim 3.14, I didn't upgrade yet), I'm running

It maybe that the binary is not suid 0 but ...

I saw exactly the same thing when I attempted to upgrade to 3.16 on one of our
servers over the weekend.

The exim binary was setuid and, I even recompiled setting the EXIM_UID=0 (which
I have never had to do before) all to no avail. Setting the spool directories
777, is not an option for me.

I solved it in the end.

It turns out that it is *not* a permissions as such but is caused by my input
and db directories being nfs mounted. An error I get in 3.16 but don't get in
3.14 (I never ran 3.15). exim just wouldn't write the input files over nfs.

All I did was to move these dirs (input and db) to local files (which is a
pain in the kneck) and leave the mailboxes nfs mounted and all works perfectly
- no permissions errors .... go figure!

--
Ian