Re: [Exim] Problem w/exim 3.x and 2.x on Solaris 8

Author: Peter Radcliffe
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problem w/exim 3.x and 2.x on Solaris 8
John Horne <J.Horne@???> probably said:
> When I upgraded a system to Solaris 8 I had the same problem. It turned out
> to be due to the Solaris installation process. At the point where it asks
> for the systems name (host name) I entered (I think) just the hostname.
> Prviously I guess I must have entered the full FQDN. Philip Hazel pointed
> this out to me - I think he said that he uses the FQDN during installation.
> To avoid the problem with exim I simply added another rewrite rule.

I have the machine's nodename as a short name, not FQDN, on all my
Soalris boxes (and indeed all my unix boxes). FQDN has caused me
several problems over the years (which this is not the right place to
go into) especially on very multi-homed machines.

I do, however, ensure that the first entry in the hosts file for each
IP address used for an interface is fully qualified (so there are no
disagreements between hosts and dns) and as long as one of those lines
also has the short name used as the nodename I've had no problems with
exim working out it's FQDN.

Occasionally (like on my laptop, which has no fixed IP address) I have
to hardcode primary_hostname to be what I want.

P.

--
pir                  pir@???                    pir@???