[Exim] Large numbers of "failed to find host name from IP ad…

Author: F.F. Jacot-Guillarmod
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Large numbers of "failed to find host name from IP address"?
Hi there,

Is it just me, or are there an extraordinarily large number of
misconfigured reverse DNS zones out there? Recently I'm getting
lots and lots of stuff that looks like it should be OK:

2000-07-31 19:51:07 recipients from [209.207.238.137] refused (failed to find ho
st name from IP address)
2000-07-31 19:51:09 recipient <XXX@???> refused from (search.aka.com)
[209.207.238.137] sender=<XXXX@???> (failed to find host name from I
P address)

.. but which fail the "exim -bh" test with flying colours.

Do I hang in there and explain to people that there are plenty of
dingbats out there who don't know what they're doing, or admit that
I'm one myself?

Puzzledly,
Jacot
--
F.F. Jacot Guillarmod - IT Division - Rhodes University - Grahamstown
mailto:Jacot@ru.ac.za tel:+27.46.603-8600 fax:+27.46.622-7764