Re: [Exim] Making specific directories mail delivery

Autor: Miquel van Smoorenburg
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Making specific directories mail delivery
In article <cistron.20000728072330.60225.qmail@???>,
Laurent Baillet <billoutoo@???> wrote:
>>exim is, IMHO not the problem.
>>You have to find your favorit popper or imap daemon.
>
>the system will be a webmail (IMP) dealing with something
>like 500000 users.

Oh dear. The problem with all those webmail programs is that they
are stateless - every time you click on a button or link on
th webinterface, the new page will connect _again_ to your
IMAP or POP3 server, the server will read and parse _all_ messages (and
copy the mailbox around a few times as well if you are unlucky) and then
execute just one or two commands and exit again.

That, by far, will be your biggest bottleneck.

I recommend a system where the webmail backend directly uses the
filesystem instead of IMAP or POP3 like IMP does.

Failing that you need to write a proxy for IMAP or POP3 that caches
the connection for the session.

Mike.
--
Cistron Certified Internetwork Expert #1. Think free speech; drink free beer.