Re: [Exim] exim as a replacement for sendmail

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: J.R. Van Valen
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] exim as a replacement for sendmail
Yes, Exim is essentially a drop in replacement for /usr/lib/sendmail. But,
that doesn't neccessarily mean that the configuration facilities must be
the same.

Sendmail's default configuration files aren't as functional as you say
they are; it's the Linux distributions (e.g. Debian) that make the changes
to the config files such that they are as flexible as you want them to be.

Try downloading Sendmail from sendmail.net and you'll see that Sendmail's
default configuration is far from flexible. And, Sendmail's ridiculous
configuration facilities does not make it very easy to make as flexible as
you desire.

All in all, downloading Sendmail from sendmail.net will provide no more
default functionality than downloading Exim. And Exim's simple
configuration makes it much easier to customize Exim to suit your needs.

However, I do agree that procmail should be used by default (if available)
in the Exim configuration file. It's relatively simple to add and works
fine even if the system doesn't have Procmail available.

If you check the list-archives, you'll see that I recently posted the
configuration directives to make Exim use procmail by default.

Regards,

-JRV