Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...

Top Pagina
Auteur: Philip Hazel
Aan: Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel
CC: Dave C., exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel wrote:

> > "This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
>
> OK..what is this mysterious mail delivery software, there is *abosolutely*
> nothing to say that this was created by Exim, and not sendmail etc.

For most users, the process by which their email gets delivered IS
"mysterious", indeed.

I chose the phrase "mail delivery software" as one which I hoped
everybody would understand. I *think* people who use computers have some
vague idea what "software" is. I deliberately did not say "Exim" because
ordinary users probably have no idea what Exim is, nor did I think "mail
transfer agent" was very understandable.

Maybe "the mail delivery program on host.name" is better. What do people
think?

> Wrong pal, the qmail message is more clearer, it says that is a *permanent
> error*, the above Exim message doesn't say so.

Again, this is a matter of interpretation. I am conscious that many
users of Exim are not native speakers of English, and I did try to make
the language simple. However, I *am* a native English speaker, with no
training in English as a foreign language, so it is very easy to slip
up. My understanding of "failed to deliver" is that it is all over;
there will be no more trying; however, I suppose people who have a
little understanding of email might think this refers to one temporary
failure.

I could easily add some reinforcement using the words "permanent
failure" if people think this would make it clearer. Opinions?

(e.g. "This is a permanent failure; the delivery program has given up
trying and is returning the message to you.")

> FWIW this was the reason for me to originally start this post about
> how to go about changing the bounce message..

It is precisely because this is a semi-cultural thing and different
people have different views that the errmsg_file facility exists.