Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...

Top Pagina
Auteur: Kalum Somaratna aka Grendel
Aan: Dave C.
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...
On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, The awesome and feared Dave C. commented thusly,

> > Just see the difference between "Update your program version" and
> > "please update your program version", it makes things much more
> > easier to the user especially when you are fuming..
> >
> > Just see why many people like windoze, it's because of it's user friendly
> > attitude.
> >
> > I have been developing software for some time and I find that if a app has
> > kind and has informative error messages and is user friendly, people will
> > continue to come back to use it...
>
> Informative, yes. I fail to see the point of 'kind'. Now, I dont
> advocate outrightly hostile messages either - error messages should be
> specific and to the point, and contain any details necesarry - but why
> should they waste space and time trying to pretend the computer is your
> best friend - its a tool, nothing more.

Well the computer maybe a tool but please don't forget that it interacts
with humans and *not* robots. The dull and lifeless error messages you
suggest would be good if the user was a robot.

But say after composing your 1000 word message and all of a sudden the
program GPF's and all your work was lost and you were fuming, wouldn't it
drive you off your nut if the system just says "GPF program terminated",
without a more detailed kind message.

> > i. This is the qmail-send program at web.lu. I'm afraid I wasn't able
> > to deliver your message to the following addresses. This is a permanent
> > error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
> >
> > In the above "chatty" messsage generated by the qmail program, it clearly
> > says "This is the qmail-send **program**"
>

> "This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

OK..what is this mysterious mail delivery software, there is *abosolutely*
nothing to say that this was created by Exim, and not sendmail etc.

> recipients. The following address(es) failed:"
>
> Why is this any less clearer? The answer is that it isnt - but neither

Wrong pal, the qmail message is more clearer, it says that is a *permanent
error*, the above Exim message doesn't say so. Well according to your
logistics there would be many users who would assume that the MTA will
keep on trying to deliver and that they don't have to check the address
etc.

So as you can see not only is the Exim message not informative enough, it
is less clearer that the qmail message. If users are as dumb as you
propese then surely I can see Exim MAILER_DAEMONS getting more messages
like "hey mailer daemon, has this failed permanently", "hey what am I
suppose to do next" etc..

FWIW this was the reason for me to originally start this post about
how to go about changing the bounce message..

> one will jump off the screen, and force themselves into a persons brain
> - they have to OPEN THEIR EYES and READ IT.

Many users do so my friend. It's that IMHO when comparing the above two
bounce messages I find that the qmail message is more friendly, more
informative (gives a idea about the software at work, and the error
status)...well now what do you have to say to that :)

> > Best Wishes,
> > Grendel
>
> Sigh.. I didn't really mean to make this into a rant. I just feel very
> stronnly on this, and another discussion in another forum about
> 'dumbing down' an interface on a system I work on to reduce the amount
> of thinking the user had to do had just set me off when I started..

Hey no problem no offence taken, it sure is great to hear about different
views.

Once again Best Wishes,
Grendel

> -DJC

^^^^^^
Any relation of DJB??

Hi, I'm a signature virus. plz set me as your signature and help me spread
:)