Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...

Top Pagina
Auteur: Dave C.
Aan: Ian Southam
CC: michael, exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim setup done and it works ok, but...
On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Ian Southam wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 02:58:17PM -0000 michael@??? wrote :
>
> > I see quite a few responses to mailer-daemon as it is ..
>
> It's the "Thank you Mailer-daemon, keep trying please" ones which crack me up
> every time ;-). Interestingly, it is not stupid people that write these
> messages, one user we have who frequently does it has the letters MD after his
> name ...
>
> I do not favour "friendly" messages because it encourages this but, I have
> many times thought of trying to make the messages themselves less technical -
> many times, the users simply do not understand what the hell "host not found"
> means (or whatever).

Yes, plain language is definately a plus for the non-gurus. That will
eliminate all but the completely clueless, which nothing will get rid
of. Chatty is just silly..

"This computer-generated message is being sent automatically to you
from the email system program for foo.com. The email message you tried
to send to user@??? could not be delivered, becuase there is no
such person known at this site. This may be becuase that person
recently changed providers (/employers/etc../cancelled their account..
as appropriate), you may have entered it incorrectly, or you may have
bee provided with an incorrect address. You should check your typing
and/or the party that provided you with this address, and try again if
you are able to determine a correct address. See below for specific
technical information concerning this message.

foo: user unknown"

etc.etc..