Re: [Exim] failed to find host name from IP address - exim_r…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: o.cook
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] failed to find host name from IP address - exim_rejectlog (Q0029)
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 o.cook@??? wrote:

> I am getting errors in the reject_log similar to the following:
>
> 2000-07-12 09:38:33 refused relay (host) to <rachel.dent@???> from
> <simon.kay@???> H=(barringtons.uk.net) [212.159.24.108]
> (failed to find host name from IP address)

What this means is "I refused a relay from [212.159.24.108] because it
is not a host that matches host_accept relay. Oh, by the way, I failed
to find a host name for that IP address."

> I then stumbled upon the "host_reject = +warn_unknown" option - so I put
> that in the configuration file and restarted exim. I expected this to make
> exim accept emails where it couldn't lookup the other server's hostname, but
> to log it. However, the situation was unchanged, and the mail was still
> being rejected.

Where did you put this in the config?

> deferred)

Here it is checking host_accept_relay, but failing to find the host
name. That suggests you have some wild-card name in host_accept_relay.

> host_accept_relay = localhost:mysql;MYSQL_RELAY

This is your problem. In order to check that setting, it has to find a
host name from the IP address. If it can't, it cannot check, so refuses
to relay. If you put +warn_unknown at the front it should do the warning
thing.