Re: [Exim] long authentication + suspicios mail

Author: Leonardo Boselli
To: bufi, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] long authentication + suspicios mail
On 11 Jul 00, at 19:15, bufi@??? wrote:
> Hello everyone
> I wonder if someone could point me to the right direction in two
> questions.
> Users complain that when sending messages, it takes a long time when
> they client authenticates and finally sends the message. There are MS
> and netscape clients. Not all users have this problem and not all the
> time. I have absolutely no idea about solving this. What should i
> look for? No one touched any of the config files, the only change
> made is adding users and e-mails to some mailing lists.

I have often the same problem, and it have been traced (in a
repeatable way) to exim trying to fetch the DNS record for
destination address, and some DNS being down or slow.
> The another problem is: one users told me she can't send a message to
> one mail address. Yesterday she was able to. The mail addr is
> correct, their server works and i have nothing in my logs (mainlog or
> rejectlog) it seems that the mail can't even get to the mail server.

I do not know, except that i had a couple of weeks ago the same
problem, luckily-or unfortunaltely, at your choice- another site
using qmail had the same problem with the same address at the
same time ... so i am not sure it is exim dependent.
What does say the logs at the destination site ?

Leonardo Boselli
nucleo informatico e telematico
Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile
Universita` di Firenze