Re: [Exim] TCP service "smtp" not found

Author: John Horne
To: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] TCP service "smtp" not found
On 10-Jul-00 at 12:44:27 Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> J.Horne@??? said:
>> I would have said that the message was saying that it couldn't find
>> the 'smtp' service in the /etc/services file
>
> But would it be looking smtp up in the services file, or would it be
> asking your name_service what smtp meant? On a solaris and most linux
> systems this would have fired off through the nsswitch stuff and maybe
> pulled in the nscd... none of which I trust further than I can throw an
> S/390 :-)

True, it would (I assume) go through the nsswitch file, but our
/etc/nsswitch.conf file has 'files' set for the 'services' and 'protocols'
bit. In that respect I assume it goes off and looks in the /etc/services
file.

We don't use nscd - as the man page says, its provided on an 'uncomitted
basis only...subject to change or removal...'.

On 10-Jul-00 at 12:42:53 David Holland wrote:
> Are you using NIS (or similar) to look up services?

Nope, no NIS.

The mailhub is (since I can't remember if I said or not), a Sun Ultra 10
running Solaris 7. Exim 3.15.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???