Re: [Exim] exim retry intervals

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Philip Hazel
To: Gary Palmer
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [Exim] exim retry intervals
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Gary Palmer wrote:

> Philip Hazel wrote in message ID
> <Pine.SOL.4.21.0007061345000.23953-100000@???>:
> > Obviously you take a different view, but I'm afraid Exim can't be made
> > to do per-message retrying like that. For those kinds of errors its
> > retrying is firmly host-based.
>
> Actually, its more a customer expectation ... they're used to other
> mail products which will hold the last 5 days of mail for them, no
> matter what. Our commercial support people will probably kill me for
> this too. I think I'm going to have to end up blowing away the retry
> database from cron once a day.
>
> I think it would be really nice to have a config option which controls
> this behaviour. Would it be difficult to hack into the code?

It depends on how you specified it. I suppose you could have a global
variable that specified "keep all messages for at least 5 days", and
refrain from failing individual addresses for host (or any other)
timeouts if the message was younger. However, I haven't looked at the
code so I don't know how difficult even that would be.

I think you are the first person in 4 years of public Exim use to
request such a change. I will put it on the Wish List, but I don't think
it rates a huge priority, unless lots of people now post in support of
it.