[Exim] Problem with delivery failure messages

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Daniel Dorau
To: exim-users
Betreff: [Exim] Problem with delivery failure messages
Hello there,
I hope you can help find a solution to my problem:

I have the following configuration:

+------------+      +---------------------+

| Computer A |----->| "gateway" with Exim |-------> Dialup

+------------+      +---------------------+         connection

Computer A and the gateway are within domain home.xxx, all
mail sent to the outside is delivered to the gateway, which
when connected via dialup connection sends them to the
recipients. To have internet mail servers accept mail
coming from "gateway", the sender addresses are rewritten
so that they contain the domain of the current dialup
connection (A|gateway.home.xxx changed to xxx-whatever-isp.net).

My problem is that delivery failure messages now are not
sent to user@??? where they came from, but to
user@??? which is clearly not what I want.

Is there a way to solve this? It is not necessary that
the errors messages are sent back to the real user (I guess
this will not work because the original sender is lost).
I would be ok if the error messages would return to a
local address like postmaster@??? .

Another way to solve this problem would be to change the
sender's address when delivering mail, not when receiving
it. Then the sender address would still be user@???
in case of a delivery failure and the error message would
be sent to the original sender's address.
However I don't know how to do this. Remote mails are
deferred until the dialup connection is active and then
exim is called with -qf switch. At this time the
current FQDN of the dialup connection is known and
available in a file. Is there a way to change the
sender's address on delivering?

I would be happy if someone knows a solution for this!
TIA,
Daniel

--
Daniel Dorau                                      woodst@???
<< Linux is like living in a tipi: No windows, no gates, Apache inside >>