Re: [Exim] Panic log error message I can't understand

Author: Jonathan Haynes
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Jonathan Haynes, exim-users, Jeffrey Goldberg
Subject: Re: [Exim] Panic log error message I can't understand
On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:35:14 +0100 (BST) Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>
> > > functional_autoreply:
> > >        driver = smartuser
> > >        domains = "lsearch;TABLES/local_domains.common:\
> > >                   lsearch;TABLES/local_domains.THISHOST"
> > >        transport = autoresponders
> > >        require_files = TABLES/forwardfiles/${local_part}.response
> > >        user = exim
> > >        unseen

> > > which should run as the user exim (and there is not a file
> > > xxxxx.response so nothing occurs) and appears to be working for anybody
> > > else.
>
> Consider what happens if ${local_part} ends up containing a colon.

Give that man a beer!!

If the address starts with a colon it appears that I get the very error
message and having read the require_files section of the manual again I
realise why.

Mind you persuading exim to accept the colon address in the first place
seems to need it to be escaped ( vague recollection that unescaped
colons have something to do with source routed addresses)

<alpha>% /usr/lib/sendmail -bt :xxxxx
:xxxxx - bad address: missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<")
<alpha>% /usr/lib/sendmail -bt \\:xxxxx
Address rewritten as: \:xxxxx@???
LOG: 0 MAIN PANIC DIE
user "xxxxx.response" for file existence test not found

Now all I need to do is work out how to test for this case ......

Thanks very much Philip

           Jonathan

                             J. R. Haynes
                          Network Team Leader

     Cranfield Computer Centre,          e-mail: J.Haynes@???
     Cranfield University,
     Wharley End,                        Tel: Bedford (01234) 754205
     Cranfield,                               Bedford (01234) 750111 Extn 4205
     Beds.,                              Fax: Bedford (01234) 751814
     MK43 0AL.