Re: [Exim] Hold_domains on a central mailhub?

Top Pagina
Auteur: John Horne
Aan: Exim Users List
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Hold_domains on a central mailhub?
On 26-Jun-00 at 15:39:35 Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, John Horne wrote:
>> However, it is not unusual to be asked to 'hold' the mail for all the
>> users on a specific file server whilst some problem is sorted out.
>
> Why not just turn off the SMTP listener on that server?

Yes this would seem sort of obvious. However, we are generally asked to
stop the mailhub trying to send mail to the file server whilst they are
rebuilding it or repairing part of it. I gather (and I can't remember from
when I worked on the servers) that it is not possible to stop something
starting up when the system reboots - i.e. unlike Unix where you can change
an /etc/init.d file name from S... to s... (or move a configuration file;
change the permissions, etc, etc). As such it seems to easier just to stop
the mailhub sending the mail - I shall ask next time why they cannot stop
SMTP on the server :-)

> It has occurred to me that you might be able to make use of the
> "one_time" option in aliasfile or forwardfile to do what you want.

I shall check the manual about this (hmm, that just does the directing one
time doesn't it - I assume then it must store the new (generated) address in
the spool file(s), which mailq may see?)

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???