Re: [Exim] Understanding directors + deleting duplicate me…

Author: Ross Boylan
To: Phil Pennock
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Understanding directors + deleting duplicate messages
At 12:22 PM 6/17/2000, Phil Pennock wrote:
>Typing away merrily, Ross Boylan produced the immortal words:
> > As an added wrinkle, I want mail to my wife to be duplicated to me, so I
> > can tell her when she's got mail. I'm doing this now with a smartuser
> > director.
>
>If you're going for such an open system anyway, why not have the mail
>delivered permissions 660, group mail, and then use a setgid xbuffy to
>see when mail gets delivered to that box? Or gbuffy if that's available
>as a Debian package.

Interesting idea. Though I have in mind we might switch to a more private
system just by turning off the split.

> > Footnote: Why I don't want to use procmail:
> > 1. It's another program to learn, administer, and run.
>
>If you have a hammer and a screwdriver and don't want to learn to use
>the hammer, don't complain that the screwdriver isn't very good at
>driving nails.

I thought it was "If all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look
like a nail."
But in this case it seems exim is fairly well suited to what I want to
do. Am I missing something?

> > 2. It appears to lack any real documentation (all I see are FAQ's, tips,
> > guides, but nothing laying out the command line options and the file
> format).
>
>I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. Procmail has four manual pages:
> procmail(1) - general info, command line, etc
> procmailrc(1) - config file format, syntax, etc
> procmailex(1) - examples - lots of them (incl duplicate filtering)
> procmailsc(1) - scoring (guru territory, don't worry about it)
>
>Duplicate filtering based on Message-ID matches is a two-line example in
>procmailex(1) which can be dropped straight into ~/.procmailrc

Thanks. I got thrown by the procmail site not having this stuff (at least
visibly), and fixating on /usr/share/doc/procmail in debian. Fortunately
one of us is awake.