Re: [Exim] exim & mailing lists

Author: Phil Pennock
To: Petr [Dingo] Dvorak
CC: Exim-users mailing list
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim & mailing lists
Typing away merrily, Petr [Dingo] Dvorak produced the immortal words:
> well, this is the deal, all the mailing lists what i'm on have X-Mailing-List
> field in the message header, and i would like exim to mangle the Reply-To
> header so it contains whatever is in the X-Mailing-List [if there is one],
> because replying to a mailing lists is 99% of my outgoing mail and however this
> is the 'bad' (TM) thing to do, i still preffer to send reply only to the list
> :) i would really appreciate if someone would tell me how to do this. I use
> exim/fetchmail/pine setup.

MUA issue, as someone else said; failing that, Procmail?

Something like (untested):
:0 fh
| formail -i "Reply-To: listname@???"

in ~/.procmailrc

That should insert the relevant line, and rename any pre-existing
`Reply-To:' headers to `Old-Reply-To:' so that you can still find it if
you want.

You can then use similar entries for each list.

If, and ONLY if, you are absolutely sure that X-Mailing-List: will
_always_ contain a line which is valid as a recipient, then you can just
have one rule instead. But this does _not_ hold in general. Doing it
lists local to your organisation may be valid:
:0 fh
* ^From .*@my-organisation.example.com
| formail -i "Reply-To: $MATCH"

Anything further to this is off-topic for Exim-Users. Which is one good
reason to not always set Reply-To. :^)
--
HTML email - just say no --> Phil Pennock
"We've got a patent on the conquering of a country through the use of force.