Re: [Exim] System Lockout on running Exim

Author: Brian K. West
To: Vikaas BV, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] System Lockout on running Exim
> Apart from the mail service for 12 domains, the system is also running
BIND
> 8.x and Postgres 6.5.3 public domain RDBMS.

Bind does this to my box... I causes some weird things to happen.

> Further, I am using address (with regexp) rewrites (about 8) and a

transport
> that invokes a Perl program which talks to Postgres DB.

You may have a bug in your perl script. Does the script call exim again to
deliver the mail? If so then you might have a condition that causes a loop
and this translates into a fork bomb. Just an idea! I have done similar
!@#$ups in my learning experiences. :)

> I tried several config options like limiting the number of (exim) forked
> processes, cutting down on some domains etc but none seem to work.

I feel its something external.... I am running 3.14 without any problems..
Infact I work for an ISP thats sendmail centric and my boss tried to crash
my exim setup by sending it a load of mail.. and to his supprise exim was
taking them faster than sendmail could dish em out. Even scanning them all
for viruses and still had room to play. :P

> I changed the version of Exim from 3.02 to 3.13 and a similar phenomenon
> occured again. A surprising aspect is that the server locks out at times

in
> just about 20 mins.
>
> Please advise.

Try 3.14 and see what you get!

Later,
Brian
PS: My boss is going to switch to exim! :P This makes 3 ppl I have switch
to exim! hehe