Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Marilyn Davis
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Malformed address on a list
On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 02:13:42PM -0700,
Marilyn Davis <marilyn@???> is thought to have said:

> We don't hide the addresses of the list members. We don't hide
> anything. We don't do anything illegal or promote anything illegal
> and we believe in openness. If a public service isn't open, it's not
> a "public" service. We are only concerned with denial-of-service
> attacks, or attacks that cost me time to fix. Is this still necessary
> for us? I'll read that FAQ again.

If so then you're doing a major disservice to your list members. Majordomo
servers that allow unrestricted access to the "who" command are constantly
abused by spammers to gather address lists. They're very attractive
targets because list owners are generally pretty good about keeping the
lists clean of bad addresses. By leaving your majordomo installation wide
open you're just about guaranteed that your users have become the target
for a wide variety of scams and unsolicited junk email from now on as
their addresses get passed along to every "10 Million email addresses on
1 CD" scam out there.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality