Re: [Exim] Snooping

Author: Dave C.
To: Leonardo Boselli
CC: Marilyn Davis, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Snooping
On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Leonardo Boselli wrote:

> On 9 Jun 00, at 10:01, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> >
> > I hope the users know that this is going on. Maybe they'll all quit
> > and work someplace better.
>
> Thi is the same moral consideration that, as a postamaster, let me
> refuse all request to set up an antivirus for mail-attached viruses.
> Such behaviour would turn into censorship if thge system would
> remove a message with an attachment ...
>
> BTW: there is a category of messages that are "snooped"all the
> time: the messages that got bounced due wrong addresses.
> Most of time these are spam, other times are just someone that
> wrote a wrong address. In these cases i forward them.
> No one have never protested, only thanks, except from two people,
> that asked not to forward them, but rather to bounce back, so the
> sender can "learn"the correct address ...
> Am I working bad ???

I'm assuming you have errors_copy_postmaster (or whatever it is) set.

Personally I, loathe that behaviour. It is not a postmaster's job to
hold people's hands.

If someone tries to send mail to an invalid address, the system should
send it back to them, and not bother me. If they aren't bright enough
to figure out what it means then they should reconsider wether they are
qualified to use Internet email.