[Exim] exim "breaks" after a reboot

Author: Chris Wilson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] exim "breaks" after a reboot
Last night, I restarted my computer for the first time in a long time.
Exim had been working fine ever since I set it up. However, after I
rebooted, exim has not been able to properly receive mail from other
domains (and I'm guessing from other machines). I can send okay, and I
can receive mail from my own machine. I know that this is not a DNS
issue, considering that this problem did not occur until after the reboot.
(Also, I double-checked the DNS records.) When I log the connection,
/var/log/messages indicates that the message is reaching my computer.
However, /var/log/exim/mainlog does not ndicate that the message had been
delivered, and it's not contained within /var/spool/exim/input either.

I did, however, locate the following message in /var/log/syslog:

Jun 4 15:38:01 va /USR/SBIN/CRON[325]: (mail) CMD ( if [ -x
/usr/sbin/exim -a -f /etc/exim.conf ]; then /usr/sbin/exim -q >/dev/null
2>&1; fi)

If I'm understanding this correctly, it appears that my messages are being
appended to /dev/null! Why would it do this, and how can I make it stop?
Why would an MTA trash my mail as a result of rebooting? It boggles the
mind.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris