[Exim] Unqualified addresses in To: header

Author: Ian D Crorie
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Unqualified addresses in To: header

We still have some messages posted using mail (ucb) and mailx. Commands
like:

    mailx -s "Subject" addr1 addr2

produce messages with To: headers like:    To: addr1 addr2    where there
are no comma seperators.    If any recipient is outside our local domain
then the addresses get comma seperators and our FQDN appended but if
all recipients are local then they are left alone.

Some MUAs, like Simeon, cannot cope with parsing these headers (for things
like group replies) and a look at RFC822 leads me to believe that they
aren't legal, but on the other hand I find it hard to believe that these
programs have been producing badly formed headers for the last 18 years.

Can anyone help?    We use a mixture of exim 3.12 and 3.03 on Alphas,
Suns, HPs and RedHat Linux.

---
I always wanted to be someone - I guess I should have been more specific