[Exim] Converting virtual domains from Qmail

Author: I. Forbes
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Converting virtual domains from Qmail
Hello All

I have a server serving about 100 virtual domains that I am
contemplating converting from qmail to exim.

In order to do this as painlessly as possible I would like to get exim
to use the same virtual domain logic as it currently running on the
qmail. I have looked through documentation, FAQ and sample
configurations on the exim website, and there seems to be a lot of
overlap. Has somebody has done this before?

The basic elements that qmail setup has now are:

1) A list of virtual domains, mapped onto real local users:

    virtual1.com:    local1
    virtual2.com:    local2

2)  A rewriting mechanism that redirects incoming mail addressed to
    virtual domains as follows:

    target@??? is delivered to local1-target@???

3) A local delivery mechansim which directs mail as follows:

    local1[-optionalsuffix]@virtual1.com to the user local1

4) A .forward filter that can further redirect mail as follows:

    local1-target: otheruser@???

    The default behaviour of this filter is to deliver

    local1 and
    local1-*

    to the local mailbox.

    This filter file is stored in the local1's home directory with
    permissions for him to edit etc.

Qmail also has the facility to recover the original envelope
information from the headers of the final delivery. This however is
not a requirement for us, in fact I would quite happily turn this feature
off.

This seems to differ from the example setup on the web page as
follows:

-   The "virtual domain alias" file needs to be in the ~user/
    directory not $domain directory.

-   I am not sure if there needs to be an address rewriting process
    as implemented in qmail.

-   We need local1[-optionalsuffix] to be delivered to local1.  This
    is required for standard (non virtual domain) addresses as well
    as virtual domains.

I would be happy to hear comments from anybody who has tried
this before.

Thanks

Ian Forbes

Ian Forbes ZSD
http://www.zsd.co.za
Office: +27 +21 683-1388 Fax: +27 +21 64-1106
Snail Mail: P.O. Box 46827, Glosderry, 7702, South Africa