Re: [Exim] Idea Request again

Author: Jason
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Idea Request again
The idea is so that for example in /etc/passwd
I could have
d1.user1:password:---
d2-user2:password:---
d3xuser3:password:---

And when email comes in all it needs to do is come in for
user1@???, and it would go to d1.user1, without having
to create an alias for each and every user, for example I have about
10 domains here, 3 of which have to have unique users, the other 7
are global in that a user can be sent an email to any of the
domains with the same username and it goes to the same person.

On 19 May 2000, at 20:18, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2000, Jason wrote:
>
> > I have an idea, for ya Phil to save time in configuring Virtual
> > Domains, why not add to the Localuser director the folling
> >
> > Domain=Domains to be parsed by this rule
>
> The "domains" option already exists.
>
> > Prefix=text to be added before the $Local_Part, then checked in
> >        the passwd file
> > Postfix=text to be added to the end of the $Local_part, then
> >        checked in the passwd file

> Why do you want to do this? It seems to me that you are suggesting
> creating accounts for all users of your virtual domains in a single
> password file. This is not a good idea. You are better off keeping
> different domains' user lists in separate files - *definitely* if they
> are just flat files.
>
> > an example then would be:
> > # This would send email to x@.domain1.com to d1.x
> > virtualdomain1:
> > driver = localuser
> > domain = domain1.com
> > prefix = d1.
>
> I take it you mean "x@???", and that you want to deliver that
> to the local user d1.x. What is wrong with
>
> virtualdomain1:
> driver = smartuser
> domains = domain1.com
> new_address = d1.$local_part
>
> which achieves exactly the same thing? (Assuming that the new address
> is handled by some localuser director, of course.)
>
> --
> Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
> ph10@???      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.

---
Jason Robertson
Network Analyst