Re: [Exim] Idea Request again

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jason
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Idea Request again
On Thu, 18 May 2000, Jason wrote:

> I have an idea, for ya Phil to save time in configuring Virtual
> Domains, why not add to the Localuser director the folling
>
> Domain=Domains to be parsed by this rule

The "domains" option already exists.

> Prefix=text to be added before the $Local_Part, then checked in
>        the passwd file
> Postfix=text to be added to the end of the $Local_part, then
>        checked in the passwd file

Why do you want to do this? It seems to me that you are suggesting
creating accounts for all users of your virtual domains in a single
password file. This is not a good idea. You are better off keeping
different domains' user lists in separate files - *definitely* if they
are just flat files.

> an example then would be:
> # This would send email to x@.domain1.com to d1.x
> virtualdomain1:
> driver = localuser
> domain = domain1.com
> prefix = d1.

I take it you mean "x@???", and that you want to deliver that to
the local user d1.x. What is wrong with

virtualdomain1:
driver = smartuser
domains = domain1.com
new_address = d1.$local_part

which achieves exactly the same thing? (Assuming that the new address
is handled by some localuser director, of course.)