Re: [Exim] Auto reply to email to people who have left

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Andrew Hawkins
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Auto reply to email to people who have left
On Tue, 16 May 2000 listman@??? wrote:

> >a.burnett: :fail: Address removed around 02/2000. No known forwarding address
> >s.johnson: :fail: Address removed around 04/1999. No known forwarding address
>
> This would be Ok, but I'd prefer to send a copy of the message to someone in
> the company in the relevant department. I guess I'm after another alias file,
> which also sends an autoreply.

Apply Wheeler's Law - use another indirection:

a.burnett: somebody.in.relevant.dept, failer
s.johnson: somebody.in.other.dept, failer
failer:    :fail: Gone away. No known forwarding address

I haven't tried it, but I think that will work. However, it won't
reject the message at SMTP time, of course, and you lose the
user-specific message unless you have a separate "failer" for each one.