Re: [Exim] Nit-picking corrections

Author: Malcolm Beattie
To: Philip Hazel
CC: Chris Thompson, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Nit-picking corrections
Philip Hazel writes:
> On Tue, 16 May 2000, Chris Thompson wrote:
> > [Although one probably wouldn't want >65K *separate* entries in a flat
> > /etc/passwd -- one would use NIS or one of its friends.]
>
> Or run FreeBSD, which uses DBM passwords automatically and by default.

Or run Linux where you need to do something not much more complex:
    # cd /var/db
    # make
and put "db" before "files" in any /etc/nsswitch.conf lines you want
to use db for. (Oh, and rip out the icky "pam_pwdb.so" lines from
your /etc/pam.d config files and use "pam_unix.so" instead which is
much saner). You can also use nss_ldap and pam_ldap to do user lookups
and authentication against an LDAP server. The db stuff above probably
isn't as nicely integrated as FreeBSD though: for example, password
changing/shell changing whatever won't get propagated automatically
whereas I assume it does under FreeBSD. In some environments you can
probably just do another "make" after a change but here I use some
home-brew stuff to do direct updates of the db files.

--Malcolm

--
Malcolm Beattie <mbeattie@???>
Unix Systems Programmer