Re: [Exim] (no subject)

Author: Vadim Vygonets
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] (no subject)
Quoth Roger Burton West on Sat, May 13, 2000:
> On Sat, May 13, 2000 at 04:56:47PM +0300, Vadim Vygonets wrote:
> >Quoth Jon Baldassari on Sat, May 13, 2000:
> >> can exim add a disclaimer to outbound emails?
> >Is this the time to add it to the FAQ?
>
> I think so. Something along the lines of:
>
> - this is not the MTA's job
> - the MTA is therefore not equipped to do it
> (stuff about MIME and so on)

Even if you solve issues of MIME handling, several other issues
remain:

* What if the message contains only binary MIME parts?

  * What if the message contains one perl script which does not
    represent views of the company, nor does it compile?

  * What if the message is cryptographically signed?  Should the
    disclaimer invalidate the signature?  This kind of thing can
    probably happen of you use PGP/MIME or that signature in the
    header, whatever it's called.

  * Or encrypted?  Even if you do add the disclaimer after the
    encrypted part, many decrypting MUAs delete everything except
    the encrypted part.

> - in any case this is legally dodgy, as the user has no means of consent,
> and it makes you liable for any third-party content going through you

Also think about technical side of the Force. Not everything
works always as expected.

  * False negatives: "Ah, this guy usually says he does not
    represent their views, but now he doesn't have the
    disclaimer".

  * False positives "This official announcement does not
    represent our views, oh no".

Vadik.

--
The Consultant's Curse:
    When the customer has beaten upon you long enough, give him