Re: [Exim] Customising error messages

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Bleasdale
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Customising error messages
On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, John Bleasdale wrote:

> In particular, I have message_size_limit set to around 4Mb and expect this
> to be regularly broken by my users or people posting to my users. As these
> users will mostly be children, I would like to offer them an explanation
> with wording other than the default "A message that you sent was longer than
> the maximum size allowed on this system. It was not delivered to any
> recipients."

There is no way to change this at present. Other than hacking the code,
of course.

Note that that particular error message arises only for messages sent
from local processes using the command line interface. If local
processes send messages using SMTP (which several MUAs do), then the
rejection happens during the SMTP dialogue, and an entirely different
message may be shown to the originator.