Re: [Exim] LoveBug as HTML attachment

Author: Ian Southam
To: James Greenhalgh
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] LoveBug as HTML attachment
On Fri, May 05, 2000 at 01:36:57PM +0100 James Greenhalgh wrote :

> > And once again, everyone is in a frenzy about nothing.
>
> (file deletion + virus propegation + security compromise) == nothing?

Not to mention the fact that if you are an ISP or college, if a significant
number of users get this, they are going to generate serious volumes of mail.
Unlike Mellissa, this one doesn't just do the first 50 addresses it finds, it
does them all. That I suspect will be the biggest problem - I would urge
people to filter their local mailing lists - think about it!

I think people are overreacting a tad (I was phoned at home, 15 times last
night after it was on the early evening news Grrrr - what do these idiots
think I do for a living). That said, it is potentially quite serious.

You do also have to wonder. This has caused a storm because the virus
companies picked it up late - who though will benefit the most because of the
storm, irony or what??

--
Ian
(On Unix, running Mutt, quite safe and still having to worry about bloody