Re: [Exim] Distributed filters

Author: Dr Yann Golanski
To: Pete Ashdown
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Distributed filters
On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 01:06:19PM -0600, Pete Ashdown wrote:
> The "ILOVEYOU" brings up an interesting idea. We only managed to stick
> this in our filters when we came into the office this morning at 9:00 AM,
> but after that point, several thousand had already passed through us. It
> would have been nice if someone in the UK could have stuck the necessary
> lines in our filters in advance.

Best thing against virii: run something that does not automaticly run
attachements, or run any versions of Unix ;> Of course, user education
is the best way to solve this... but everyone makes a mistakes.

A solution to the ILOVEYOU was send to the list as early as 1030ish
yesterday. Planet/Freeserve used one and only about 2000 copies passed
us. However, a clever bit of perl and they were all saved in a special
dir.

> Spam and email virii beg for an authenticated, secure, trusted authority
> for which filters can be submitted and distributed. I realize the
> potential for bad filters, but I think issues of trust and capability have
> all been discussed and solved with other distributed package systems.
> There is no reason something like this wouldn't work for Exim, and be one
> more reason why this is the best MTA out there.

Yes there is. Anything with `$message_body contains:' is slow by
definition. Some ISP (Planet for one) cannot aford to have our service
crippled by someone who writes a filter which is not optimal for speed.

Besides, would you realy trust me (or anyone else) to have that much
control over your MTA? If you do, I own this bridge over brookline that
I want to sell, intrested? ;>

--
Dr Yann Golanski                            Internet Systems Developer
PGP: www.kierun.org/pgp/key                 Mailmaster for the Planet Online