RE: [Exim] Exim on Solaris 8

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: John Horne
A: exim-users
Asunto: RE: [Exim] Exim on Solaris 8
On 17-Apr-00 at 15:39:03 Mita Solanky wrote:
> We are considering moving to exim and I was looking for any info about
> compatibility with solaris 8. Is anyone out there running on solaris 8 ?
> should it be ok to go with solaris 8 or should we stick to solaris 2.7 ? I
> did have a quick look through the archives but didn't find anything.

I've just installed exim 3.14 onto a Solaris 8 system. Generally no
problems, however, I am getting error reports (prohibition - no valid sender
in headers) when the system automatically mails me. In particular something
like 'mailx -s t1 sysadmin' sent from the root account fails. The address
'sysadmin' is simply an alias (in /etc/aliases) to
'sysadmin@???', which in turn is aliased to me (convoluted I
know).

The header from address is 'From: root@bb' (the system is called 'bb').
Under Solaris 7 this is rewritten to 'root@???' (in this
example the system eros was used). Hence I would expect the rewritting to
produce 'root@???'. It doesn't. The only difference
between the Solaris 8 and 7 configure files is the host name (bb on one,
eros on the other).

'exim -brw root' showed the same. Unfortunately our rewritting rules are a
bit convoluted, but I added 'bb' to the lookup file of local domains used
and it then all worked fine.

I suspect that at Solaris 8 there is a change to the way the local host is
looked up. In /etc/nsswitch.conf we have 'hosts: files dns' and the
/etc/hosts file contains the simple entry (amongst others) '141.163.17.224
bb loghost'. This is all exactly the same as on the Solaris 7 system.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where else to look to pinpoint the
problem then let me know. I shall investigate further as much as I can, but
the Easter break is here so I'll be out from work for the next 4 days :-)

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK             Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: jhorne@???
Finger for PGP key: john@???