Re: [Exim] Very large mailing lists (Exim vs Isocor)

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Ian Southam
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Very large mailing lists (Exim vs Isocor)
On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 11:59:49PM +0100 Ian Southam wrote :

> True but, despite the fact that Exim is not designed for speed or scalability
> really it does both quite well. I know a good few large ISPs using it and of
> (Freeserve being one). It may well do the task (without the bugs).

I thought I has also better add for anyone else reading this that, for a large
scale use, you will need to change exim's "out of the box" configuration quite
a bit to get it at its best.

I figure Philip couldn't have made the default configuration like this as, it
wouldn't have suited the majority. Also I suppose he may have considered that
the postmaster of an ISP would know what they are doing. This apparantly is
not always the case ;-).

In particular for bulk outbound, consider having an out facing server and an
in facing server. That way you can save a lot of overhead in your out server
by basically not verifying anything - you just refuse everybody.

Also things like smtp_accept_max queue_run_max remote_max_parallel and so on
are worth looking at.

Finally make sure your disk access is a fast as it can be and, you have good
solid DNS. (Both obvious but for some reason often overlooked).

--
Ian