Re: [Exim] Prohibition message

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Peter Radcliffe
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Prohibition message
Lorens Kockum <lk-m-exim@???> probably said:
> Hmmm. It permits identifying a person or persons responsible
> for the machine with much better granularity than a whois or a
> traceroute.

Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no :/

> Well, not really. I argue that it is reasonable to demand that
> one's IP address have a valid reverse. Setting it to something
> customer-specific can be something else.

True, but I've been through that argument with people who have responded
"Yes, I agree, but I can't, I've tried."

> Guilt by association :-) (I do see what you mean. In my own case
> I wasn't about to go cracking into my ISP DNS server if they
> refused to set it up. I just might have gone elsewhere, though,
> with the exact argument that my mail might be refused by other
> machines.)

Unfortunately not everyone will do that, so ISPs who refuse to do
reverse DNS still get customers.

> >So if everyone did this, because it's apparently so easy, what point
> >is there to blocking hosts without reverse DNS ?
> You don't have a reasonably reliable contact address for the IP.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no :/

> :-) Yep. I'm lucky they reacted as they did and not in one of
> the ways you describe. You get what you pay for, I suppose.

I certainly wouldn't pay for an ISP that wouldn't set my reverse DNS
to something I specified. Preferably deligating it to me.

> Not drop -- never drop. Never. Only refuse.

Braino - I meant refuse.

> The applicable reasons are 1) doesn't have a reasonably valid
> contact address 2) comes from a network administered in a way
> that casts doubts on the competence of the administrators.
> Slim, I agree (but miles better than refusing MAIL FROM:<> :-)).

:)

> For what it's worth, I don't refuse mail from IPs w/o rDNS (I
> was not the original poster). I don't need that in my arsenal

I doubt many of us do, in practice.

> I do, however, understand and sympathize with thse who are willing
> to take any measure to reduce the amount of spam they get, and who
> can't do better.

Sympathy, yes ... saying you should do it without understanding the
ramifications, no (as I've had some people tell me).

Trying to do anything that cuts down legitimate mail recieved when
you don't have a completely clueful customerbase will get you
complaints, unfortunately.

:/

P.

--