Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivi…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Lorens Kockum
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivial patc h and new c onf option suggested
On exim-users tom@??? wrote:

> Well, first of all, an empty file will at least give you a nice clean
>fail, and won't refer the request to a root server! I'm sure the people
>who run the root servers don't appreciate all the crap that sites like
>yours must throw at them all day long.

Some time ago (a year or so?) the people who maintain the rDNS
for the RFC1918 addresses started timing them out instead of
returning a nice error (or was it the opposite... don't think so).

This was done on the perfectly valid basis that

1) the RFC explicitely specifies that noone should ask because
everyone using the addresses should set up their own reverse.

2) IIRC the previous behavious was supposed to be temporary
anyway

3) IIRC the DNS bandwith used up was non-negligeable.

Well, it started an outcry; poor incompetent pseudo-admins (most
surely quite competent at whatever their jobs were, but not at
sysadminning) moaning that their applications weren't working
anymore, that their network was slow because of the timeouts,
that they couldn't $do_important_company_work, and that they
couldn't set up a reverse zone because the didn't know how or
for $x_micellaneous_reason.

The old behaviour was put back, IIRC temporarily; I'm eagerly
awaiting the next time around.

(Hmmm, I wrote IIRC a lot, nothing to do with Internet Relay
Chat, it means "If I Remember Correctly".)