Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivi…

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Nigel Metheringham
Cc: Paul Sheer, exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] HELO reject when reverse DNS lookup fails - trivial patch and new c onf option suggested
On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> Reading from the spec document....
> > Even if its address doesn't match `host_lookup', a sending host's real
> > name is looked up from its IP address if the argument it provides for
> > the HELO or EHLO command is the local host's own name, or the name of
> > one of its local domains, which seems to be a fairly common
> > misconfiguration.
>
> Does this extra logic actually gain anything, and would we be better
> dropping this special casing on DNS reverse lookups and just relying on
> the `host_lookup' config variable.

Well, I got fed up with hosts that don't follow the rules of RFC 821. I
run my hosts with lookups turned off (to save the DNS cost) but on these
hosts (cus.cam.ac.uk) I saw a lot of connections where the client said

HELO cus.cam.ac.uk

instead of

HELO the.name.of.the.client

Even worse are the ones that say

HELO 131.111.8.6

(i.e. *my* IP address). This makes the logs etc look very odd because
they are full of my host's name (or address) mixed up with other people's
addresses. [This might have been before the time Exim put HELO names in
parens.]

Clients that do that are in breach of RFC 821. In thinking what to do
about it, it seemed that a tidy thing would to to force a lookup in
order to get the correct name in the log. I decided that refusing such
HELO/EHLO commands would cause more trouble than it is worth.

Obviously, if people want it, the code could be thrown away or made
conditional.