Re: [Exim] Blocking vs non-blocking file locking

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Dean Brooks
A: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] Blocking vs non-blocking file locking
> > disaster is actually a bad thing - they ought to find out sooner rather
> > than later. OTOH, there may be MUAs in use which use only fcntl() and
> > the sysadmin might not have any knowledge of what they are actually
> > doing.
>
> I would say that Exim is very robust and that this is a good thing, so I
> would suggest that the cautious approach should remain the default, and
> the people who know what they are doing can "soup things up" with
> reference to caveats in the manual.

I agree. Err on the side of cautious locking behavior.

Users who are looking for high performance will assuredly be
reading spec.txt thoroughly anyway, so if they want to beef
up performance, they can make the change manually.

I'd say keep locking configured to the absolute most safest configuration
possible, and then be sure to document the performance gains
in the "How to add performance to Exim" section of spec.txt.

Lots of people use NFS, and lots of people don't read documentation... ;)

Regards, Dean

--
Dean A. Brooks                         Email: dean@???
IgLou Internet Services, Inc.          Voice: (502) 966-3848