Re: [Exim] Exim 3.12 on SCO 5.04 box - file locking woes

Author: Tony Earnshaw
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 3.12 on SCO 5.04 box - file locking woes
Scott Truman wrote:

NCS wrote:

>         I have compiled and installed Exim 3.12 on a SCO 5.0.4 (fully
> patched (?)) which was running sendmail 8.8.5.

> Now I am having major problems with file locking! I have had the
> following problems:

I've incorporated Exim as standard MTA on SCO Open Server since Exim
version 1.7 and recently on UnixWare 7.1 and never experienced this kind
of problem. We're running 3.13 now. Why are you using MMDF-type
separators? Especially when replacing Sendmail? We don't, we use
standard Unix separators (blank line).

Something else is, that we use the standard Exim path configuration and
haven't changed anything apart from the spool directory /usr/exim/spool,
which is a symlink to a separate SCSI disk. Eximbase is /usr/exim,
mailboxes are in /var/mail. Max mail volume from 45+ workstations is 250
MB per day, normal is 30 MB. Exim's running max. 5 parallel processes,
the spool directory is split into myriad subdirectories to facilitate
bulk-mailing (ugggh, I'm only the Sysadmin who has to provide the
service).

Set up a standard installation with a configure that's as near to
possible as default, and work out from that. Also, 3.13 was introduced
as a bug-fix for bugs that aren't covered by your description - update
to 3.13 before you contact the mail list with these problems.

Tony
  Landis ICT Services
  Tony Earnshaw
  Randstad 21-57
  1314 BH  Almere-Stad          tel: +31 (0) 36 548 50 10
  The Netherlands               fax: +31 (0) 36 534 05 34