[Exim] Exim 3.12 on SCO 5.04 box - file locking woes

Author: Scott Truman
To: Exim-Users
Subject: [Exim] Exim 3.12 on SCO 5.04 box - file locking woes
Hi,
    I have compiled and installed Exim 3.12 on a SCO 5.0.4 (fully patched (?))
which was running sendmail 8.8.5.

Now I am having major problems with file locking! I have had the following
problems:

1. /usr/spool/mail/.$USER.pop files created and eventually filling partition
(2GB +)
        - these files are filling up with ^A^A^A^A mail delimiters

2. some users mail files have each line doubled up

3. some users getting 2+ messages joined together when retrieving via pop3
collection

These happened quite a bit inititially but seems to have quietened down a
bit.

My local_delivery settings are as follows. I have added the last four lines
to get mmdf format mail files ( have also put these in the address_file
heading). Should I include any other settings for file locking in here or
recompile Exim with any tweaks?

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
file = /usr/spool/mail/${local_part}
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
check_string = "\1\1\1\1\n"
escape_string = "\1\1\1\1\n"
prefix = "\1\1\1\1\n"
suffix = "\1\1\1\1\n"

Also how can I tell which processes are accessing/have locks on certain
files?
I am aware there are some locking problems under 5.0.4 but it seemed to work
fine before the changeover. In this case are there any third party pop3
daemons that can be used?

Any help greatly appreciated!!!
Please reply via personal email as well to scott@???.

Cheers Scott