Re: [Exim] $reply_address - which header?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Horne
CC: Exim Users List
Subject: Re: [Exim] $reply_address - which header?
On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, John Horne wrote:

> So the upshot of this is (I think) that the $reply_address did not seem to
> take notice of the Reply-to: or From: headers but used the Resent-from:
> header. Is this possible?

My reading of the RFC was that, if any Resent- headers exist, you should
use them, and only them. That's what Exim does. If there are Resent-
headers it doesn't look at any non-resent headers. Let me see if I can
quickly find the quote:

     Note:  In general, the "Resent-" fields should be treated as con-
            taining  a  set  of information that is independent of the
            set of original fields.  Information for  one  set  should
            not  automatically be taken from the other.  The interpre-
            tation of multiple "Resent-" fields, of the same type,  is
            undefined.

I doubt very much whether there is any consensus about this.