Re: [Exim] email delays still? (fwd)

Author: Tabor J. Wells
To: Richard G. Duvall
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] email delays still? (fwd)
On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 07:56:03PM -0800,
Richard G. Duvall <rgd@???> is thought to have said:

> I see in my PC pine when sending messages now and then that the SMTP fork
> failed. I am wondering if it is related. Maybe the fork failed on those
> messages as well, and it queues it for later delivery.

Could very well be. Not being able to fork a process is certainly a bad
thing.

> If you havn't seen the problem, then nevermind... I was just curious if
> anybody else has experienced it, and could point me where to look to start
> troubleshooting it. It's hard to troubleshoot being that it is a sparatic
> issue.

Start at /var/log/exim/mainlog and/or /var/log/exim/paniclog (or wherever
your server is set to store logfiles).

Try and duplicate the problem if it's not immediately obvious by the
content of those logs. Try to use some of the debugging tools that exim
provides (like the -d# option). Basically try and research the problem a
bit on your own. You're probably going to be able to do a better job of
solving it than the rest of us who read this as a third-hand problem
report.

Tabor

Tabor J. Wells                                     twells@???
Fsck It!                 Just another victim of the ambient morality